The Dogs of Mexico edition by John J Asher Literature Fiction eBooks

In this literary thriller, former government agent Robert Bohnert has left the life behind—but it won't leave him. Broken by the destruction of his family, he agrees to one last job—this time for the other side. When a "straightforward" diamond smuggling operation goes south—literally—Bohnert finds himself trekking through Mexico, pursued by killers, including, a cross-dressing hit man, a psycho meth addict, and a fellow operative who was once a close friend. An unlikely love story complicates his flight when the woman who defects from his pursuers becomes the one person who might offer him salvation. The question becomes, ultimately, will they make it out of Mexico alive, and does the canister really contain diamonds, or is Robert being used to import an unimaginable horror into the U.S.? “…(K)ill a few hours enjoying the suspense and human drama.” — Publishers Weekly
The Dogs of Mexico edition by John J Asher Literature Fiction eBooks
This thriller/adventure was a good fast read. The author gives a lot of authenticity to the book by his descriptions of Mexican cities, locations and life among the poor which ring true to anyone who has spent much time there..While the arch villain is a CIA midlevel bureaucrat trying to make a private killing using old retread CIA contacts, including the hero, I don't really consider it a spy novel per se. The plot revolves around the task of the hero to find and retrieve a cannister of diamonds, taken from some Islamic terrorists. The villain sets the other CIA retreads as double blinds in multiple layers for surveillance or to take the diamonds from the hero.
The hero's journey is through a maze inhabited by these multiple villains who are trying to block him from reaching his goal of bringing his CIA contact the diamonds. However, this goal is also a false effort as he is actually out for revenge against the arch-villain for a previous betrayal.
Lots of shooting and gory scenes. At times the appearance, fight to the death, and reappearance of the villains chasing the hero becomes a little like watching Jason come back to life, but what the heck, it's entertainment.
Product details
|

Tags : The Dogs of Mexico - Kindle edition by John J Asher. Download it once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets. Use features like bookmarks, note taking and highlighting while reading The Dogs of Mexico.,ebook,John J Asher,The Dogs of Mexico,John J Asher,Fiction Literary,Fiction Thrillers General
People also read other books :
- Forever Jade Chevalier Book 4 edition by Shara Azod Literature Fiction eBooks
- PALEO DIET FOR BEGINNERS A Comprehensive Guide To Healthy Eating eBook Ashley Seymour
- Anger Management What You Need to Know When Dealing with Anger edition by Krystal Kuehn Health Fitness Dieting eBooks
- The Bishop Heir The Histories of King Kelson Book 1 (Audible Audio Edition) Katherine Kurtz Nick Sullivan Audible Studios Books
- The Suitcase Of Secrets Connie Hannah 9781105085277 Books
The Dogs of Mexico edition by John J Asher Literature Fiction eBooks Reviews
I loved John J. Asher's elegiac first novel, A Dignified Exit, and gave it a 5-star review. It's a book that lives in my imagination, resonating on many levels; that kind of experience, the kind that rivets me as I'm reading and that continues on long after I've finished a book, is why I read.
The Dogs of Mexico is a very different sort of book. In Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, Marc Antony addresses the Roman populace after Caesar's assassination. He says, "Caesar's spirit... [will] Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war." In other words, since the legal order of the state has been extinguished, all hell is about to break loose. I think that this famous line is John J. Asher's inspiration for his title, The Dogs of Mexico. The reader finds himself in the anarchy of cartel-plagued Mexico. The manic violence in this book, especially when a psychopathic Mexican Indian and the partially unhinged protagonist meet is, indeed, hellish. It's very tempting to ask whether such brutality in a novel is justified; it certainly can be disturbing. But the real question is how well Asher has achieved his goals in this book. He has. He shows the consequences when order is lost there is evil in human nature, and that evil is unleashed when legal authority is upset. Reading this novel can be dizzying, but it convinces us that this sort of thing happens in the real world, every day. And Asher can write active and powerful English sentences.
Given the contrast between this book and A Dignified Exit, it's exciting to wonder what Asher might give us next. He has published a collection of short stories called Stories from Separation, Texas, and there's an excerpt of a new novel called Yellow Mesquite on his site; it's not yet available at . That gives me two more Asher books to read, and believe me, I'm looking forward to whatever new experiences this writer has in store for me, and to the pleasure of reading his prose.
At first I was having a hard time getting into this book. But after a little bit more into it, I couldn't put it down. This book is full of suspense with a little bit of romance tossed in for good measure.
This story surprised me. I put off reading it for a long while because the title doesn't do it justice. It was well written, the characters jumped right off the page, and the plot superb. This was my first novel by Asher and I was blown away. I loved the noir style of writing with a modern day setting and topic. Lots of action, not too gruesome, yet realistic with a touch of suspenseful, romantic interest to keep it interesting. I look forward to reading more by this author. KUDOS Very much along the lines of 'American Outlaw'
Well first I have to say I really liked this story! An interesting,enjoyable read. The story line keeps you interested and the characters are all believable.The word that comes to mind is. believable. All governments do shady things we never hear about ,until later.Maybe not at all. Everyone is running from or to something.And I get my excitement from the people I read about. But ..I never figured out where the name of the book came from. INTERESTING &ENJOYABLE.. I RECOMMEND this book as good take up the afternoon read. ENJOY!
The Dogs of Mexico plunges you into a slap-down, mind-boggling, full-tempest blowout of convoluted intelligence men niggling at the edge of insanity, and the mangled psyches of those who come to play with them. The paths they run and the confluence of their head games will leave you shaking your head.
I thought this had à Good plot. The story was fast packed most of the time. There was à chapter or two when I thought it was being written for an opera. The author just started telling us everything instead of letting us feel it. There is à lot of bad language, torture and some sex. I found it interesting the sex was mostly hinted at and the violence was graphic.
This book was a real page turner. The action is intense and believable but does not completely overwhelm the book, as it does in some suspense novels. In this book the characters have a chance to develop and show their flawed personalities--and each of them is quite flawed. This includes both the protagonists and the main antagonists.
The description of Mexican scenery was enjoyable and seemed realistic.
I did not like the way the woman protagonist is always screaming, panicking, freezing, begging for mercy for the antagonists or covering her face with her hands. I hate the way women are always portrayed as weak things needing to be protected by men. Nevertheless, she does develop some and the relationship between the woman and man protagonists is believable except that it does reinforce another stereotype which is that men cannot behave rationally around women.
If you're looking for something fun to read, action packed, a little gory, and you're a man, this is a good book for you.
This thriller/adventure was a good fast read. The author gives a lot of authenticity to the book by his descriptions of Mexican cities, locations and life among the poor which ring true to anyone who has spent much time there..
While the arch villain is a CIA midlevel bureaucrat trying to make a private killing using old retread CIA contacts, including the hero, I don't really consider it a spy novel per se. The plot revolves around the task of the hero to find and retrieve a cannister of diamonds, taken from some Islamic terrorists. The villain sets the other CIA retreads as double blinds in multiple layers for surveillance or to take the diamonds from the hero.
The hero's journey is through a maze inhabited by these multiple villains who are trying to block him from reaching his goal of bringing his CIA contact the diamonds. However, this goal is also a false effort as he is actually out for revenge against the arch-villain for a previous betrayal.
Lots of shooting and gory scenes. At times the appearance, fight to the death, and reappearance of the villains chasing the hero becomes a little like watching Jason come back to life, but what the heck, it's entertainment.

0 Response to "∎ Descargar Free The Dogs of Mexico edition by John J Asher Literature Fiction eBooks"
Post a Comment